Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rice Custard


3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1 tsp butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup cooked rice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1-2 Tbsp butter
Pre-heat oven to 350. Combine eggs, sugar, and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Scald milk in sauce pan and then add slowly to egg mixture. Stir in cooked rice and vanilla. Pour into greased 1 1/2 qt greased baking dish; dot with butter and lightly sprinkle nutmeg on. Put 1" water in bottom of 9x13 pan and set rice custard baking dish in the water. Place entire thing in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Although it can be served warm or cold, we prefer it hot out of the oven.
This recipe is one of my family favorites, since my mom used to make it for us when we were growing up, and now I enjoy making it for my kids.

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

That picture looks SO yummy! I love rice custard and just haven't had the recipe. So, thank you a million times over for posting!